SEQ Water together with Queensland Canoeing, Surf Life Saving Queensland, Emergency Services and other local groups and organisations took part in ‘Play it safe day’ at Billies Bay Recreation Area, Lake Wivenhoe.
Around 600 kids and 110 teachers and helpers from across South East Queensland were first to take advantage of the new facilities at Billies Bay.
The event was used to promote safety in and around Queensland waterways.
In Queensland, it is common for community members and families to use our dams, lakes and parks to enjoy summer activities such as swimming, boating, fishing and camping.
Here are some tips from our friends at SEQ Water to help you play it safe:
- Properly prepare for your activity with appropriate equipment and safety gear such as life jackets;
- Check recreation and safety notices before you leave for the latest information on conditions and closures;
- Read SEQ Water fact sheets on swimming, boating and multi-use trails; and
- Check the weather before starting your journey.
- Remember to #playitsafe this summer.
For more information on how you can play it safe and recreation lakes near you visit www.seqwater.com.au/playitsafe