The Queensland Canoeing Inc. Board of Directors have been making progress on many fronts.
- The Board has established two sub-committee’s – Strategy and Audit and Risk. Alana Bold is the chair for the Strategy Committee whilst Phil Pegg chairs the Audit and Risk Committee.
- The Audit and Risk Committee will be working on and ensuring Queensland Canoeing is adopting best governance practices. Two of the Queensland Canoeing Directors spent a number of weeks attending the QSport Company Directors training.
- Queensland Canoeing is developing a new Strategic Plan for 2017 to 2019. I thank those club members, industry representatives and other stakeholders who attend the initial strategy forum in May 2016. Further consultation is being planned to ensure broader input from clubs.
- The year is passing rapidly and the QC AGM is scheduled for Saturday 10 September . It is time for all to consider others to take on the role of Director on the Board of Queensland Canoeing Inc. The role is important to the functioning of the organisation.
- Thanks to the Qld Canoe Marathon and Canoe Polo Technical Committee’s and their hard working volunteers, who conducted very successful Australian Championships earlier this year. Bring on the Qld State and Schools Championships for both Canoe Marathon and Canoe Sprint.
- I want to take a moment to recognise and thank the many volunteers who supply many hours to Queensland Canoeing. Many of these contribute through the discipline technical committee’s, club committees, events and general club involvement. Your contribution is greatly appreciated!
- Queensland Canoeing recently received funding from the Gambling Community Benefit Fund. The $20 000 plus will be spent on canoe equipment to assist in growing awareness of canoe polo and canoeing generally through school programs.
- I encourage all to renew your membership as soon as possible as the new membership season commences. The staff at Queensland Canoeing have been working hard with the clubs to set up the new membership year.
- Finally, I want to wish all Queensland athletes who have been selected in the Australian Olympic or Paralympic Teams all the very best in their competition in Rio.
Queensland Canoeing Inc.