A very successful two days at Lake Coomera, Gold Coast, Queensland for the 2016 Australian Canoe Marathon Championships over week-end 26-27 March.
Congratulations to the 257 competitors for their professionalism and sportsmanship over the Championships and to the 40 volunteers for their contribution over the past four days in setting up the course and running the event.
A special thanks to the Qld Marathon Technical Committee: Lynwen Birch (chair), Chris Hurley, Ian Frost, Mark Rickard, Sue Gollagher and Glenn Pyne, for their time, enthusiasm and energy over the past six months. Thanks also to the Australian Marathon Technical Committee, chaired by Jerry Dunn for all their input.
On behalf of Qld Canoeing, the Qld Marathon Committee and the Australian Marathon Technical Committee, we would also like to acknowledge the support of the following organisations :-
- Gold Coast City Council for their sponsorship
- Queensland Dept. Of National Parks, Sport and Racing
- Queensland Academy of Sport
- Queensland Outdoor Recreation Federation
- Volunteers from a number of clubs, particularly the many volunteers from Varsity Lakes Paddlers Club without who’s support, the Nationals could not have run.
A further acknowledgement of thanks for Gold Coast City Councillor William Owen-Jones for his support of the 2016 Australian Marathons.
The 2016 Australian National Canoe Marathon Championships are available here.
Photo credit to Kerryanne Cox.